Plantain is the best thing in life – you should know this – and of all the methods of cooking it, deep frying was my favorite. I say “was” because even though I still like it, I have come across other ways. You won’t believe it, but there are better things than fried plantain.
*grabs chest in shock*. What do you mean there are better things than fried plantain??
Okay, maybe not better, but there are healthier alternatives that taste just as good. I feel like no one ever believes statements like that, and maybe that’s a good thing. Don’t take my word for it, try it yourself.
Over the next couple of days/weeks, I will be sharing 5 perfect plantain recipes for a healthier alternative to the usual fried plantain. Hope you enjoy it!
I’m starting off today with one of the easiest methods – grilling. It’s simple, it’s quick, and it’s delicious.
- 1 ripe plantain
- Oil spray (or 1 teaspoon of oil)
- Heat up the grill. If you don't own a grill, the oven works too - use the grilling trays for maximum effect.
- Spray the grill with a little oil (optional, however do this to prevent sticking)
- Slice the plantain in medium sized pieces, place on the grill and cover.
- Grill plantains for about 5 minutes or until golden brown
- You can add salt, but it's not very necessary.
- Another alternative to oil is to use a little butter