It’s been almost 2 weeks and I have missed you all so much! A lot has been going on but I am back to my regular schedule now. Today, I had a craving for coconut rice so I went to Walmart to buy the ingredients, when I got another craving for jollof rice. I was so torn between the two *cue in “Dilemma” by Nelly & Kelly*
Anyway, I did what I always do when I have multiple cravings – I combined the two. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Coconut Jasmine Jollof Rice. 🙂 The combination of flavors is deliciously unique. The natural flavor of jasmine rice, the occasional taste and crunch of the coconut, and the jollof flavor all compliment each other in a way I never imagined possible. No one taste completely overwhelms the other. The meal leaves you guessing which taste you will meet next with each bite.
- 1/3 cup coconut Oil
- 1 small onion - diced
- 1 habanero pepper - chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger + garlic
- 1/2 red bell pepper - diced
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup grated coconut
- 5 mushrooms - sliced (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- Coconut water (substitute with water if needed)
- 1 seasoning cube
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in pot and saute onions, minced ginger & garlic, habanero and bell peppers till they become tender
- Season with seasoning cube and add tomato paste. Cook for 5 minutes and add rice
- Add 2 cups of coconut water (or water) and cook on low heat till rice becomes soft, adding more water as necessary. Add mushrooms when rice is halfway cooked.
- Taste for salt and adjust as necessary.
- Once rice is soft, serve hot with protein of choice (and of course plantain)
- Extracting flesh from coconut: Use the blunt end of a chef knife to hit coconut shell around its circumference until it cracks open. Use a butter knife to pry flesh away from shell