Catfish pepper soup is a delicious meal and one of the ultimate Nigerian comfort foods that is also very easy to prepare. It is famously called “point and kill” because of how the catfish is bought at local markets: you select your desired fish by pointing at it and it is killed and prepared for you.
I feel like these fish have the most difficult lives of all their counterparts because they keep swimming in the tank (or bowl, depending on how advanced your seller is) knowing that one day, they will get pointed at.
This is a sad life.
Well then, I hope you enjoy this quick and tasty meal 🙂
- 1 catfish (cleaned and cut into 4-6 pieces)
- 3 cups water
- 1 small habanero pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 small onion (chopped)
- 1 seasoning cube
- 1 tablespoon pepper soup spice (can be found at a local market/ African market)
- 1 tablespoon ground crayfish
- 1 basil leaf
- Salt to taste
- Soak the fish in a bowl of cold water 3 minutes before cooking to prevent it from falling apart
- Then put fish in a pot over medium heat and add 3 cups of water
- Season with seasoning cube, salt, onions, pepper and crayfish. Boil for 10 minutes
- Add pepper soup spice. Boil for additional 3 minutes
- Serve immediately